The Community Foundation of the Okanagan, originally known as the Vernon Benevolent Society, was created in 1975 when a number of members of the Vernon Rotary Club got together to discuss the need for a charitable society which focused on the needs of the community. We began with an original donation of $1000 and have grown significantly over the years through donations from caring individuals and families in the North Okanagan region.
In 1984, the society formally changed our name to the Vernon and District Foundation to better describe our objectives and mode of operation. In the early 1990’s, the Foundation saw significant growth which has continued for over a decade. From our humble beginnings the Foundation has grown to $14 million in assets. These assets are invested so as to provide perpetual income for use by charitable organizations in the North Okanagan region.
In the year 2000, the Foundation’s 25th year, the Board of Directors decided once again to rename the Foundation to better describe our geographic focus. Our new name, Community Foundation of the North Okanagan, better describes the scope of the Foundation’s operation.
The Board of Directors is proud of the impact the Foundation has had on our communities. Successful investment of the capital assets has allowed us to distribute income in excess of $4.7 million over the past 38 years. These distributions have supported a broad range of charitable organizations in our region.